Cabinet Replacing or Refacing: Which is a Cheaper Option for You?
Whether it is the kitchen or bathroom remodelling, the cabinetry majorly influences the transformation and contributes to a considerable portion of the total expense involved, especially when you entirely replace it. Refacing the cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to demolishing them and get constructed wholly new ones.
Is Cabinet Refacing the Right Choice for You?
It is a fact the quality of cabinet construction has dwindled over the years and so it would be silly to knock down the existing cabinets if they have the following:
- MDF panels in good state
- Box made of plywood
- Good hardwood face frame
- Appropriate storage accessories such as the number of shelves or smooth functioning of the drawers
- Internal hardware is in perfect shape
Comparing the Costs
Don’t think that cabinet refacing comes very cheap. The amount you need to spend on it is 50% the expense of installing customized new cabinets. The procedure of refacing costs 70% to 80% of the money charged by the installation of stock cabinets bought from the home improvement stores.
Benefits of Cabinet Refacing
- Firstly, you don’t need to change the kitchen layout, which is not the case when you are replacing cabinets.
- You can choose from a wide array of styles due to the availability of multiple veneer types for natural wood and laminates.
- You will find it hard to tell the new cabinets that you had seen in stores from your existing cabinets since refacing would make them appear brand new.
- If the expenses are considered carefully, you will find that this new look is attained at half the price of installing new customized cabinets.
- Besides, it is an eco-friendly remodelling option since the wood pieces of your discarded cabinets are hazardous to landfill. The MDF with which the boxes are made have formaldehyde content that is harmful to nature.
- Last but not the least, greater the demand of woodwork in home decor, greater is the deforestation of trees.
- Wood veneers have to undergo the steps of finishing that also include varnishing and staining. These charges when included might increase the expense.
- You have to stick to the existing layout of the kitchen and cannot enhance the overhead space of the countertops even if you wish to.
- If the cabinets aren’t adequately spacious or are lacking appropriate storage shelves/compartments, the cost of constructing them and painting their inner walls would involve additional costs.
- Cabinet refacing won’t save you any money if every piece of hardware including hinges, fronts, drawers, doors and storage accessories need to be replaced. The expenses involved will automatically exceed the budget. Replacing the cabinet is a favourable option in that case.
Are you clueless of how to proceed with your bathroom, living or kitchen renovation? Contact rainmanservice.com for the fastest and effective home improvement service in Kolkata. From the minutest to the major repairing and revamping solutions are provided here.